Buying in Greece

1. Getting started: is it possible for you to buy a property in Greece?
Yes, EU nationals can buy property freely in Greece and are treated as citizens, the restrictions imposed for security purposes on foreigners owning property were lifted in 1992. Purchasing property near military bases or national borders requires special permission from the Local Council. These restrictions go way back and are often a mere formality. Recent laws have made it easier for non-EU citizens to purchase properties.

2. Legalities - should you use a lawyer when buying a property in Greece?
Getting a lawyer involved in your property purchase in Greece is recommended, having your own trusted lawyer will mean that the chances of having problems later on will be vastly reduced. We can introduce you to excellent English-speaking lawyers who specialise in property law.

3. Is the purchase of property difficult in Greece?
No. In summary, having selected your property you appoint your English-speaking Greek lawyer to act on your behalf by giving him/her Power of Attorney (this is arranged through a Public Notary for a fee of approximately €100). Your lawyer will obtain your local tax number, required by law here to be able to purchase. He will open a bank account on your behalf, check the property you wish to purchase, ensure the correct building permits are in place, check there is no loan or mortgage owed on the property, make the payments.

According to new laws, the sellers have to provide a certificate stating the property is legal, an energy sufficiency (green) certificate and a new topography. This is at the sellers' expense and only then the lawyer can give the ok the property is 100% legal.

Once the lawyer has given the ok, a 10% deposit is paid to secure the purchase and a pre-contract agreement is signed. The remaining 90% and all the additional expenses are to be paid on completion when the contracts are being signed.

Completion normally takes about 3 to 4 months dependent on the readiness of the property sale documentation. If you prefer you can instruct the lawyer to sign the final contract on your behalf in front of the Public Notary (Government appointed lawyer) who approves and records the transaction. Alternatively, you may wish to return to Crete to sign the contract yourself. In this case, the contract is translated word by word for you (in accordance with Greek Law).

4. Is there Land Registry?
Yes. In addition to a very precise set of deeds, which establishes your ownership of the land and hence by Greek law any property built on it thereafter, there is now Land Registry in Greece.

5. What are the taxes/expenses involved in property purchase?
Here is a brief list of what you may expect in the way of purchase costs:

Paid by the buyer and calculated on the price mentioned in the contract. This amount is paid two or three days before the signing of the contract. Today the tax for the buyer is 3% + 3% on that amount.
For example:
Contract price: €100,000
Fee: 100,000 X 3% = €3,000
                    X 3% = €90
Total fee: €90 + €3,000 +  = €3,090

Paid by the buyer and calculated on the price mentioned in the contract. Paid on the day the contract is signed.
The amount is less than 2%, depending on the number of pages in the contract.
These costs include 24% VAT.

Paid by the buyer and calculated on the price mentioned in the contract. This amount is paid two or three days before the signing of the contract.
The amount is less than 1% and includes VAT.

2.5% on the sale price (plus 24% VAT). Paid on the day the contract is signed.

2.5% on the sale price (plus 24% VAT) with a minimum of €2,000. Paid on the day the contract is signed.

6. What other taxes/expenses apply if I live in Greece?
If you are not working, your only costs will be utilities - electricity, telephone/Internet and water (including public sewage if you have it). There is a Council tax in Greece, this amount depends on the area you live and is about €4 per m2 of building. Don't forget you are obliged to make a yearly tax declaration, even if you have no income. It is best to use an accountant to help you with this formality.